A SIMPLESENCE QUIZ: WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE
We created the SimpleSENCE® Water Leak and Freeze Detector for a very serious reason: to help homeowners protect their houses and property from the damage that hidden water leaks can cause.
It’s an important job, to be sure. As we mentioned in a previous blog, the damage from a leak that goes undetected can be catastrophic, costing thousands of dollars, displacing your family, and generally disrupting lives. Given what’s at stake, we set out to develop the most accurate, easiest to use, and most compact water leak detector we could. Based on the early results, it seems that we’ve succeeded.
Of course, we at SimpleSENCE are not above having a little bit of fun. And since we’re all about water, we thought a little quiz on your knowledge of our planet’s most valuable resource might be an entertaining – and eye-opening – exercise.
See how well you do on these 10 water-based questions. Answers are at the end of the quiz. But don’t peek until you finish. And of course, don’t “leak” them to anyone else.
1. What percentage of the human brain is water?
2. What percentage of water is lost through leaky pipes in cities in the developing world?
3. Over 90% of the world’s supply of fresh water is located where?
b) The North Pole
c) The Atlantic Ocean
d) The Pacific Ocean
4. If everyone in the US used just one less gallon of water per shower every day, we could save how many gallons of water each year?
a) 30 billion
b) 85 billion
c) 400 billion
d) 1 trillion
5. True or False: If all the water vapor in the Earth’s atmosphere fell at once, distributed evenly, it would only cover the earth with about two inches of water.
6. It takes seven and a half years for the average American residence to use 750,000 gallons of water. How long does it take for that same amount of water to flow over Niagara Falls?
a) 3 minutes
b) 1 second
c) 45 seconds
d) 20 minutes
7. A leaky faucet that drips at the rate of one drip per second can waste how many gallons of water per year.
8. We could save a lake full of water about one mile long, one mile wide and four feet deep is everyone is the U.S. did this one thing each day:
a) Shut off the water while they brush their teeth
b) Flushed the toilet one less time
c) Watered their lawn two minutes less
d) Drank more orange juice
9. True or false: 1 in 6 gallons of water leak from utility pipes before reaching customers in the US.
10. How many gallons on water does it take to create just one pint of beer?
ANSWERS: 1 - C; 2 – C; 3 – A; 4 – B; 5 – False, it would cover the earth with just one inch of water; 6 – B; 7 – D; 8 – B; 9 – True; 10 – A.
10 correct – Water Wizard
7-9 correct – Deep Water Diver
4-6 correct – Wet Behind the Ears
Less than 4 – Water You Thinking?